Frequently Asked Questions
Hugimals are high-quality, award-winning weighted stuffed animals that “hug you back” to lower stress, boost feelings of calm, and help with sleep and focus.
Hugimals combine the emotional connection of a favorite stuffed animal with the calming benefits of a weighted blanket.
Hugimals are intentionally and beautifully designed with input from psychologists and occupational therapists to make them the ultimate therapeutic calming tool — on top of being pretty darn adorable!
Some of our unique details and differentiators:
- Hugimals weigh 4.5 pounds, as opposed to the 2 or 3 pounds found in other weighted plush like the Target weighted dino. Our heavier weight was advised by occupational therapists to ensure more sensory support for both children 2+ and adults.
- Unlike other weighted plush, Hugimals have their weight distributed evenly throughout the body, head, and limbs, (rather than having the weight clumped only in the middle, butt or arms like many other weighted plush.) Our evenly distributed weight brings you the comforting sensation that your Hugimal is truly hugging you back!
- Hugimals have a patent-pending removable weighted insert, which makes Hugimals' outer plush Machine Washable (unlike most other plush and weighted plush, which are spot-clean only.) Simply remove our weighted insert and machine wash the outer plush when needed.
- On the recommendation of the top psychologists we worked with in creating Hugimals, all our gender neutral characters have emotionally supportive neutral facial expressions rather than forced smiles. Our sweet neutral expressions allow you to feel whatever you're feeling in a no-judgment zone.
- Calming colors found in nature and inspired by river stones
- Extra-soft fabric for a soothing visual and tactile sensory experience.
Hugimals make incredible gifts for birthdays, holidays, for a loved one going through a stressful time, or just because. When you gift a Hugimal, you are literally sending hugs that loved ones can turn to again & again in stressful moments, when winding down at night, or anytime they need a hug.
When placed on the body, your Hugimal's weighted pressure (known in the medical world as Deep Touch Pressure, or Deep Pressure Touch Therapy), brings on a relaxation response from the parasympathetic nervous system — and tamps down a fight-or-flight response from the sympathetic nervous system. Your body lowers production of the stress hormone cortisol and increases production of “calming” neurotransmitters like oxytocin, serotonin and dopamine, helping you feel calm, relaxed, grounded, safe and secure.
Deep Touch Pressure has also been shown to help with sleep, as well as focus & concentration, making your Hugimal an excellent bedtime companion and study/work buddy.
Weighted pressure, known in the scientific community as Deep Touch Pressure, stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system, bringing on a physical relaxation response in the body and feelings of calm and well-being. Weighted pressure may also help with focus. Here are a few of the studies that point to the science-backed benefits:
Hugimals were developed by a health journalist with top pediatricians, psychologists and occupational therapists for anyone age 2+ who enjoys the calming feeling of weighted pressure.
We are loved by kids, parents, tweens, teens, adults, and even older adults — neurotypical, neurodivergent, sensory-seeking, and everyone in between!
When you snuggle up with your Hugimal on your lap, chest, shoulder or tummy, you feel the soothing sensation that it’s “hugging you back,” making you feel safe, grounded, calm and secure.
Use your Hugimal to soothe anxiety during stressful moments, to help ease into a restful sleep, to help you focus while working or studying, as a comforting companion when recovering from an illness or injury, as a travel companion, or simply to cuddle with anytime you need a comforting hug.
Your Hugimal is weighted with non-toxic glass beads (the same found in many premium weighted blankets), which are carefully sewn inside a sturdy, removable weighted insert. Each Hugimal weighs approximately 4.5 pounds. Customers often say holding a Hugimal reminds them of the comforting feeling of holding a baby or a pet!
Yes! All Hugimals are designed and manufactured to meet all global children’s product standards focused on children's safety, including the European standards, which, chemically, are the most restrictive. We utilize independent safety testing labs to thoroughly test and certify compliance with the rigorous standards, including CE EN71, ASTM F963, CPSIA, AS/NZS ISO 8124, CA SOR/2011-17, and many more. We are happy to send our rigorous test reports on request. These detail the testing and all the chemicals screened!